No pictures on this one...sorry!
So to everyone up to date...We have been trying to potty train James for like 8 months now. Since moving back to Utah he seemed at first really into it. We bought a "Cars" toilet seat cover, which he seemed to like for a while. But he just didn't take. Then, I heard that if you put regular underwear on, he wouldn't want to pee or poop in those and one accident and he would be potty trained....uh no, that did not work. So then we just dropped it for a while. Then when we moved to Bountiful at the beginning of the year...he seemed interested again, but NOT in the "cars" seat cover...so we bought a separate potty (it looks like a frog and called the froggy potty). I heard from someone else that what they did was sit them in front of the tv on the potty. Then once they get that feel they want to do it more...mind you...we have been rewarding pee and poop with prizes and praise! Well Months went by and it wasn't working either, but now he was scared to tell me there was poop in his diaper and would out and out deny it and run away when I questioned and tried to check him. He would scream and kick and run away every time I tried changing him. I thought ok this is totally not normal be to afraid to be changed - don't you want to feel clean? So then I was talking to my older sister, Chelsey about this problem...she totally agreed with me that sounded bizzare...she suggested I take a couple of days and stay home all day and have strip him completely nude! I thought...WHAT?? But she said that a lot of her neighbors do it and the kids love being nude anyway. So I thought, "what the heck...I tried everything else." We started it yesterday only doing a half day...I was prepared with carpet remover and plenty of treats. I was surprised the first two times I suggested he try and he did...but then he was playing and I heard him run over to the potty and say he needed to pee...WHAT?? He did it on his on accord??? Amazing. I went over to the original spot he was playing and there was a little pee spot...but nothing cleaner couldn't take out. After that the rest of the day was great....I asked him a couple times but it was working. Today was the BEST...no pee stains and twice actually going poop on him own accord!!! So I am still going to stay home tomorrow and then after church stay home and strip him naked...but it is a miracle!!! I just thought he wasn't able to read his body yet....no he just felt safe going when he had a diaper, pull-ups, and underwear. I haven't gotten upset once...even on the little accident - he is doing it all by himself!! The only thing is that he is SO hopped up on sugar because of the potty treats. Oh well! I will let you know if this ends in success!
1 comment:
I've done that with all of my kids. (Not naked, but nothing on the bottom, so only shirts.) It's the only thing I've found to work. My 3 oldest all took forever. Potty training is not fun at all, I hope this works out for you!
Post a Comment