Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Unexpected Bear....

So we haven't had internet for a couple of days so to catch up...Saturday we were going to dinner at the farm house (which is nothing like a "farm" house - just a big house with a huge serving room and dining room) - Anyway, we parked and starting walking (about 1/4 mile walk) and up ahead in the middle of the road I saw a mother bear and her cub! We were like maybe 75 to 100 feet away. James was saying he saw a dinosaur and I looked up and saw the bears, so maybe he saw it first. Anyway I stopped and calmly pointed it out to Tyler who was energetically getting James on his shoulders for our 1/4 mile hike to dinner. When he saw them, we all immediately backed up and quietly walked back to the car. It was definitely a black mother bear and her cub and we weren't going to mess with that. So we decided we would park really close to the farm house, instead of 1/4 mile away - which is what the rules were. While driving to the farm house we saw the mother bear sprint into the forest, up and over a huge fence. Wow those things can move fast and they can climb. Basically, it FREAKED me out and since then, I have been having dreams about me walking anywhere and startling a bear. The worst part about this, is that (just like in reality) I have no cell phone, because there is no cell phone service here. I wake up before the bear gets to me and James, but then can't go back to sleep because I then try to figure out what I would do. Then because my mind is going 100 miles an hour I think, what if we wouldn't have seen it so soon, or what if the bear was farther down the road and we started on our walk and were too far away from the car to double back fast enough. What if, what if, what if....sometimes I really hate the imagination, especially mine that gets so carried away. But really, if I was confronted with a bear - and I accidentally startled it, how would I protect James? Should I lay down on the ground completely covering him, like we are dead....I think I have heard that you play dead with black bears because they can climb trees and run like the wind. But really - so scary....and I have never really been scared to go out into the wilderness, but then again, I have never ever seen a bear in its natural habitat with nothing between them and me. Ok I think I have expressed enough, hopefully with this post and getting the words and thoughts out of my brain, I can now forget about it and get a good nights sleep!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sounds like you guys are having lots of fun!